Did you know that the fatty acids found in coconut oil have antimicrobial properties that effectively kill bacteria and fungi? This is really important for the health of your skin because many types of skin infections, including acne, cellulitis, folliculitis and athlete’s foot, are caused by bacteria or fungi. Therefore, applying coconut oil directly to your skin may prevent the growth of these harmful microorganisms which promotes healthy skin.
Aside from the fact that coconut oil protects your skin from infections and smells really lovely, here’s why you need to start using it in your beauty regimen if you aren’t already;
- It’s a great moisturizer. I love how well it gets in there without making you feel greasy. Just rub it all over your body and see for yourself.
- It can be added to your bath for a relaxing pampering session. All you need is a spoonful of coconut oil and you will be relaxed and moisturized in no time.
- It rejuvenates and smoothes out your skin. For the perfect DIY body scrub, mix equal parts of your coconut oil with sugar and exfoliate for baby soft skin.
- It’s good for your hands and nails. Moisturize your hands and nail beds and say bye bye to dry and flaky cuticles.
- It helps prevent split ends. Apply a tiny amount to the ends of your hair to prevent thirsty ends and retain length.
- Works as a great deep conditioner for your hair. Mix coconut oil with some honey and smooth it through your hair. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- It’s great for makeup removal. Pour a small amount onto a cotton ball/pad and gently dab your eyes and skin to remove makeup before cleansing your face.
- Helps with acne. Because of it’s anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, coconut oil helps reduce acne. Before cleansing your face with a water based cleanser, gently rub a little coconut oil into your face and let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Proceed to cleanse and wash your face.
- Helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Before you go to sleep, massage a small amount around your eyes and the rest of your face.
- Promotes a healthy scalp. Rub some coconut oil onto your scalp to get rid of dandruff.
- Soothes sun burns and heat rashes. If you have delicate skin or are prone to sunburn, after a day in the sun, rub some coconut oil on the affected area to soothe it.
- You can enjoy a massage in the comfort of your home. Coconut oil makes for a great massage oil, because it glides really well on your body but is also easily absorbed preventing a yucky greasy feeling.
- Makes for a nice deodorant. I love using coconut oil as a deodorant on not so active days. It has a nice natural scent that mellows out as the day goes on and yet keeps your armpits fresh all day. Just smooth some coconut oil onto your armpits and forget about bad body odor. Point to note; do not use this if you tend to sweat profusely or if you are going to have a very active day.
If you like this article or found it helpful, please subscribe to get updates and more content.
Before you try using coconut oil, test it on a small patch of your skin for a couple of days to see how your skin reacts. Using coconut oil may cause an allergic reaction, irritation or break outs, which is why it is important to do a patch test before applying it onto your skin. If you do notice an increase in break outs after using coconut oil, discontinue use. If you have a sensitive/delicate skin, check with your doctor first before applying coconut oil directly onto your skin.